Thursday, September 30, 2010

DIY Save-the-Date cards

Last week I was all excited because my save-the-date magnets arrived from VistaPrint. My magnets are the same size as postcards, so I was trying to figure out a clever way to send them. I mean, I didn't want to just stick a magnet into an envelope and call it good, or, even worse, to "put a stamp on it and see what happens" as my mother suggested. I decided to make little cards to put my magnets in. My mom does rubber stamping, and the first thing I thought when I saw my magnets is that they are about the same size as a handmade card. That is when I started to get creative.

The project is really simple, for each card I simply cut a 8 1/2" by 11" sheet of card stock in half so that I have two sheets that measure 8 1/2" by 5 1/2". I folded each new sheet in half to create a card. For the front of my card, I made a little saying in our wedding colors using the same technique I used to create my monogram. In case you can't read the image, it reads "It may have started out as a friendship, but somewhere along the way, Jenny and Tom fell in Love." For the inside of the card, on the side directly opposite the front of the card I printed a little poem "The day is fast approaching, And we can hardly wait. We want you to be with us, So be sure to Save-the-Date." I printed the wording for the front and inside of my card on standard white printer paper, cut each down to size, and glued it to the card stock with a glue stick. Finally, I placed my magnet inside the card, it fits perfectly, as though the magnet was designed for the card, not the other way around. I am considering putting a piece of some sort tape under the magnet to hold it in place on the card, but I haven't decided yet. Now I get to make another thirty or so of these things before I mail them out in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment