Saturday, May 28, 2011

Taking Advice from Strangers

I have the opportunity to talk to a large number of customers at work. Fortunately for me, all of these interactions are over the phone. My job consists of filling out forms and databases, and a lot of other stuff that can lead to some "dead air" over the phone, so I am always looking for ways to make small talk. Lately, for whatever reason (wink, wink) that small talk seems to revolve around the upcoming wedding. This has led to some interesting advice from customers. The majority provide well wishes and blessings, some try to sell me on a rental property that would be a "perfect honeymoon," and a few try to warn me off of the entire institution. 

My best advice so far has come from an older gentlemen that has been married for 41 years. I asked him what the secret was, his response, "Keep her laughing."

If laughter is the secret to marital success, then Tom and I have a long, wonderful future ahead of us. 

1 comment: